The consumer attitudes and experiences – including shoppers’ experiences with technology – are shaping today’s retail environment. There is also no doubt that retailers are under pressure to understand which innovations will attract and retain customers today, besides what is the updated factors which will reshape the tomorrow commerce market and attract tomorrow customers.
- Nearly 7 in 10 consumers (68%) have heard of mobile payment, buy/reserve online and pick up in-store (65%) and more than half of those have actually tried it.
- Only 21% of consumers are primarily online shoppers; purchasing more than half of their items online v.s 79% purchasing half or less of items they need online.
- 49% of Millennials & Gen Z respondents said they are shopping in-stores more than they were a year ago.
- 34% of Millennials & Gen Z purchase more than half of their items online.
The Most Purchased Items Online vs. In-Store:
- The most purchased items online were books, music/video games (37%) and electronics (18%), while groceries (3%) and home furnishings (7%) are the less.
- The most purchased items in-store are groceries (86%) and home furnishings (65%), while the fewer were the books, music/video games (27%) and electronics (43%).
Top Reasons Consumers Justify Their Shopping Stores More Often Than They Used to:
- A new retail store or shopping center opened near them (52%).
- Entertainment or food options (49%).
- Preference to buy online and pick up in-store (45%).
Top Reasons Millennials & Gen Z Justify Their Shopping Stores More Often Than They Used to:
- To hang out with their friends and family (55%).
- To pick up an item they ordered online (50%).
- To chat with a sales associate (44%).
Data were driven from 3,002 consumers in the US. The poll took place from 20 to 25 July 2017, with a margin of error of +/- 1.8 % points.
To download the full report, kindly Click Here