The continued year over year growth in online shopping has been fueled by new technologies and a new generation of consumers who want greater convenience, value, options and better prices. That affected the online shoppers’ behaviors. In the US, online shoppers are creating a new retail landscape.
Find out insights into the US online shoppers’ behaviors and preferences revealed in 2017 by UPS:
- 64% of online shoppers in the US said that they search and buy products or services on a single channel, online or in-store, with 43% search and buy online versus only 21% who do so in-stores.
- Free shipping is the most important option for 74% of US shoppers when checking out for products/services online with 94% of shoppers said that they have taken action to qualify for free shipping.
- Three-quarters of respondents are willing to pay a premium for expedited shipping.
- 58% prefer to return items in store versus 42% who prefer to ship items back to retailers.
- 48% of respondents claimed that they’ve made a purchase on a smartphone with eight in 10 of consumers use a retailer smartphone app.
- Most of the online shoppers prefer to purchase from a marketplace instead of a retailer to get better prices (65%) and free & discounted shipping (55%).
Shopping Form International Retailers by Online Shoppers in the US in 2017 – UPS
Data were driven from 5,000 US online shoppers. The 2017 study was fielded in Q1 2017.