Nowadays if “you snooze, you lose”. This is the marketers season slogan because back-to-college spending is expected to hit an all-time high this year in the US, while back-to-school spending is expected to see its 2nd highest spending level on record, according to NRF.
Take a glimpse to know where to invest your marketing dollars to extract the most ROI based on these trends:
- $83.6b is the total combined back-to-school and college spending. Electronics (21.5b), clothing (18.2b) and shoes (10.1b) will make up more than half of shoppers’ spending.
- $970 is the average spend per household for back-to-college shoppers and $668 is the average spend per household for back-to-school shoppers.
- Online shoppers plan to purchase back-to-school/college items from 4 different retailer websites on average.
- Nearly 7 in 10 back-to-school shoppers plan to purchase a brand new backpack this year.
- Shoppers mostly prefer to buy in-store items like shoes (59.4%), school supplies (50.9%), clothing (49.6%) and electronics (32.9%).
- Nearly half of respondents took advantage of back-to-school deals at Amazon on Prime Day (44.2%).
Data were driven from 468 back-to-school and back-to-college shoppers in the US.
To download the full infographic, kindly Click Here