Youth in the Middle East became better educated, better connected, and more aware of the developments around them than ever before through all of the tools of information technology.
- Total population in Egypt reached 93.38 M citizens, 48.3 M of them are using the internet with a 51.7 % penetration rate, and 27 M of them are using Facebook, with a 23% social media penetration rate.
- Youth in Saudi Arabia is the most active per capita users of Twitter and have the highest per capita consumption of YouTube videos.
- Internet users in Saudi Arabia reached 21.6 M users, and 12 M active internet users, with a 70% internet penetration rate, and 35% social media penetration rate.
- 39% of Arab youth surveyed said that they get their daily news online, 29% said they watch TV news, just 7% read newspapers daily (down from 13% in 2016) and 32 % of young Arabs read the news online each day, compared to 29 % who watch TV news channels.
- The overall use of online news sources has grown from 40% in 2015 to 45% in 2016, with social media, up from 25% in 2015 to 32% in 2016.
- WhatsApp, is the most popular social media platform among the Arab youth, as 2 in 3 young Arabs use WhatsApp with a rate of 62%, followed by Facebook with a rate of 55%, then YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram.
For more information, please download the “Arab Youth Survey, 2016” full report.